Tuesday 22 October 2013

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare: Review

Clockwork Prince


Author: Cassandra Clare
Pages: 502 pages
Release Date: December 6th, 2011
Status: Sequel to Clockwork Angel; collector's edition with Will's love letters to Tessa.
 

Synopsis (from Goodreads):
 
In magical Victorian London, orphan Tessa found safety with the Shadowhunters, until traitors betray her to the Magister. He wants to marry her, but so do self-destructive Will and fiercely devoted Jem. Mage Magnus Bane returns to help them. Secrets to her parentage lie with the mist-shrouded Yorkshire Institute's aged manager Alyosius Starkweather.

I'll be honest with you, it took me about 2 1/2 weeks to finish Clockwork Prince, but I did it! And when I finished the book, I just don't understand why I took me so long, regardless of all the stuff I had. I finished it on Friday, and that was the day when my family came from Alberta- it was the start of a very hectic stay, and I got more reading done than I did when they weren't here (ironic huh, considering the fact that I had more work assigned during this Thanksgiving weekend than I did the week before). 

So Clockwork Prince starts a couple of months after the events of Clockwork Angel. Tessa, Will, Jem and the other members of the Institute are up against the Consul and Inquisitor after the escape of Axel Mortiman from the first book.

During their meeting with the Consul, Charlotte's position as the head of the London Institute is challenged by Benedict Lightwood. Unfortunately for Charlotte, Benedict's challenge is recognized and she is given an impossible task to prove that she is fit for a job in a man's world: find Mortiman in two weeks or she'll lose the Institute to Benedict. In addition to her impossible task, she has to have Gideon and Gabriel Lightwood (Benedict's sons) to train those who live in the Institute that are not up to par with Shadowhunters- in other words, Tessa, Sophie and Jessamine.

Along with having to train with the Lightworms (as Will calls them), Tessa has to deal with the fact that Mortiman is still out there with her 'beloved' brother, Nate. But her troubles don't seem to end there when she realizes that her Jem and Will may also be part of her worries...

I really liked this book: the tone was good, the dialogue was good, the plot is good, and overall most of the characters where very likeable. My favourite parts were in the beginning where the whole group was looking for news on Mortiman's possible whereabouts.

"Reparations," said Jem very suddenly, settling down the pen he was holding.

Will looked at him in puzzlement. "Is this a game? We just blurt out whatever word comes next to mind? In that case mine is 'genuphobia'. It means unreasonable fear of knees."

"What's the word for a perfectly reasonable fear of annoying idiots?" inquired Jessamine.

-Clockwork Prince, page 31




It were little times like this that made me laugh, although the overall tone of this tone was very dark and focused on solving the mystery of Mortiman.

What I liked the most is that we get to see all the characters in action in the book-yes, even Jessamine. I feel like this book was dedicated in developing their characters.

My favourite character in this book was Sophie, because she came into her own and became her own person. Not only that, but thanks to Benedict Lightwood (I think that's the only time I'll say thank you to that Lightworm) and his sons, she was able to learn how to be defensive and much more of a warrior. I seriously was jumping up and down with happiness when I read that part where she knocked Jessamine out with a mirror (or was it a hair brush?). That was golden.

The only character that I didn't like was our narrator, Miss. Tessa Grey. OMG, I HAD A TWILIGHT MOMENT WHEN SHE COULDN'T DECIDE WHO SHE LIKED AT THE END. GAHHH. But no, Tessa and TID are a MILLION times better than Twilight. 

What annoyed me was her inability to not make up her mind with Will and Jem. If she wasn't making out with one, she was making out with the other. I get that her decision is a double edged sword (one will get hurt regardless), but I think she's looking for someone who's secure and someone that's not what she actually needs. I seriously didn't know what to do half the time. I was either made or swoon over the boys, it was a toss up.

I really pitied Will and Jessamine the most in this book. I pitied Jessamine because she's just a little girl who refuses to grow up and be a Shadowhunter- a desperate girl that finally got what she deserved. But regardless, I still feel sorry for her. In my head, Jessamine is smaller and much more childlike in my head. However, out of the two, I pitied Will the most. When he told Magnus the whole story as to why he was trying to find the demon that 'cursed' him, I was crying. And by the end of the book when Tessa makes her final decision, I was balling like a baby.
You don't even understand how I felt when he told her to forget everything that he said to her and when Jem announced everything to the group, I was dead when Will just toasted the happy couple. 

I think that's why I didn't like Tessa near the end though, to be honest with you! I just didn't like how she was basing them on how she felt at the moment and not honking of who she really needs at the moment. And to be honest with you, as much as I love both Will and Jem, I feel as if she shouldn't have chosen either of them; it was too early and she needed both of them.

Overall, this book was amazing, and I was okay with how some little things were left for the next book and how some things just ended. My favourite parts were when Will learned the truth, Charlotte wasn't disowned of the Institute and she announced that she and Henry were going to have a baby.

Oh, and when Cecily Herondale showed up as well!

3.5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment