Saturday 21 December 2013

Review: Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor

 
***********************
 
12812550
 
 
Author: Laini Taylor
Pages: 513 pages
Release Date: November 6th, 2012
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Recieved From: my public library
Status: Daughter of Smoke & Bone (#2)
 

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

 
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a world free of bloodshed and war.

This is not that world.


Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is—and what she is. But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it.

In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.

While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. For hope.

But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream?
 
***********************

Review

 
This awesome Doctor Who gif can describe my emotions for me before, during and after I finished this book:
 
 
Days of Blood & Starlight brought out a lot of my fangirl feels, something I haven't experienced since reading The Prophecy by Erin Alberts. This book was freaking amazing guys, my emotions were a wreck after this book and left me with such a big book hangover the next day!
 
The plot of this book again was beautifully written, and unlike the first book, I didn't feel bored at ANY point in the novel. I just had to keep reading to see what would happen next! I think the reason why is because we didn't go between past and present too much in this book, but we were switching POV a lot. We learned a lot of backstory and a lot about both the seraphim and chimera worlds, which was nice. And I like how Zuzanna and Mik fit into this story well without seeming too awkward.
 
Karou in this novel...ugh. She was not on point in this one. She was very angsty, very afraid, very confused- I felt like she took being betrayed and breaking up with Akiva to a whole new level with helping Thiago, even though throughout the WHOLE book, she knew something was up! Ugh.
 
image
 
She was just not my favourite in this book. I get that Akiva destroyed her whole race and the creature that raised her for 17 human years like a father. I get that's something nobody can forgive, but teaming up with your ex-fiance that murdered you is not the answer, especially when he has someone watching you 24/7 for the majority of the time. Karou was lost throughout the whole entire book, and even when her friends were there with her, I felt like she still didn't know who she was. She is not the person you remember in the first book, but she does come back to life when Issa comes back and she's around Ziri, so that made me feel better. But her whole overall character did not make me like her in this book- she was so focused trying to become someone she isn't anymore.
 
While Karou was brooding and trying to piece together her life, Akiva was out saving what was left of her kind. I found that very redeeming about his character, and that made me love him even more. I also loved that we got to see more of his position as the Beast's Bane and his interaction with his world- especially with his siblings. Hazael is probably my favourite out of the three siblings, and was really upset with what happened to him near the end. In Daughter of Smoke & Bone, I wasn't a fan of Liraz because I felt she was too cold hearted and such, but in this book, you see a lot more character development from her.
 
What really won me over with her character was her love for her brothers, especially when she learns that Karou is alive. She, along with Hazael, have their heads on straight. There was a part in the book where she talks about how Akiva pretty much gives everything to Karou- his love, his devotion- but all she does is return him back broken. When I read that I was seriously like:
 
 
Like because someone finally got it!
 
I really liked Zuzanna and Mik in this book- they were pretty awesome, and as cute as ever! Ziri's introduction was really nice, and I think he was a good character to add. I was so enthralled when I read about his past and connection to Madrigal. His whole crush and new position at the end of the novel is going to be soooo interesting in the next book, I am seriously pumped for it!
 
This book was an amazing book, but Karou was not on point. However, I seriously cannot WAIT for Dreams of Gods & Monsters. Did you guys see the synopsis yet?! It is so good, like I'm already getting feels! I really hope I can get an ARC!
 
 
***********************
 
 
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
 
***********************

No comments:

Post a Comment