Saturday 14 December 2013

Review: The Beautiful and the Cursed by Page Morgan

 
15989598


Author: Page Morgan
Pages: 352 pages
Release Date: May 14th, 2013
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Recieved From: My public library
Edition: Hardcover (AND I WAS THE FIRST ONE TO READ IT TOO! :D)

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

After a bizarre accident, Ingrid Waverly is forced to leave London with her mother and younger sister, Gabby, trading a world full of fancy dresses and society events for the unfamiliar city of Paris.

In Paris there are no grand balls or glittering parties, and, disturbingly, the house Ingrid’s twin brother, Grayson, found for them isn’t a house at all. It’s an abandoned abbey, its roof lined with stone gargoyles that could almost be mistaken for living, breathing creatures.

And Grayson has gone missing.

No one seems to know of his whereabouts but Luc, a devastatingly handsome servant at their new home.

Ingrid is sure her twin isn’t dead—she can feel it deep in her soul—but she knows he’s in grave danger. It will be up to her and Gabby to navigate the twisted path to Grayson, a path that will lead Ingrid on a discovery of dark secrets and otherworldly truths. And she’ll learn that once they are uncovered, they can never again be buried.



**********
 
The Beautiful and the Cursed was a mix of everything that I loved: kick-ass characters, an amazing plot, an awesome mystery, an impossible quest, and of course, the division of worlds.
 
This book jumps right into the story: immediately, you learn about Grayson's disappearence, meet the characters, and then the plot starts to unfold. I seriously couldn't put this book down after the first couple chapters- it was that good!
 
What I liked the most about the story was the characters- they're all special in their own way. I especially loved the bromance between Nolan and Vander. That was beautiful- I loved there banter.
Ingrid Waverly is calm, cool and collected- which is why her younger sister Gabby, nicknames her the "Iron Shield". She's in control and in command...and is trying to forget her former best friend's disasterous engagement party which involved her and a fire. Her younger sister Gabby? The complete opposite- she's a total spit-fire.
 
I loved the sense of family in this book between Ingrid and her siblings, and make it easier to connect with. I found it hard getting used to the gargoyle characters because I've never read anything like it before! But it does get easier to read :)
 
The Beautiful and the Cursed is a truly unique story that is a perfect book for the Christmas season!
 
4 out of 5 stars!


2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever read a book featuring gargoyles, but I really should. I like to try books about different creatures. :) I also like a book with a good sense of family in it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And yes, it was really different, but there is a LOT of love in it! :)

    ReplyDelete